Today, Barb, Kay, and I went to Ajloun Castle and the Roman ruins at Jerash. We had decided that for these two days that we have before the seminar we wanted to have quick-ish day trips - nothing rigorous. So after breakfast (huge selection, and waaay better than the nunnery food - if you don’t know about the nunnery, ask me sometime) we met our driver and were on our way.
We arrived at Ajloun Castle (see above), and had a lovely view overlooking the area. Somewhere near this nearby hill, the Prophet Elijah was born (see below).
The castle is about 830 years old, and has a pretty interesting history. It has been a castle, with spots to dump boiling oil on people (see below - I guess they poured the oil between the stones above the doorway) and arrow slits. Our guide apparently was some published professor of archeology. Will have to check on that when I have time to post more. Oh, and by the way - internet in my room would cost about $25 a day!!! So I am using the business center when I get the chance. Apparently that is free. We’ll see... (argh - it changed fonts! no time to figure out how to fix it - hopefully you will survive.)



No comments:
Post a Comment