Thursday, June 16, 2011

June 14, 2011: On My Way and Arrival


In 2.5 hours, I’ll be in Amman! That will be 22 hours since I left my house. It’s been fine, despite two out of three flights being delayed. Well, and I guess the third was, too, because they held the plane for me and the other people on my flight. We were rushed through the Amsterdam airport directly to our plane. I felt pretty fancy when there was someone waiting with a sign intended for me. And I am **SOOOOO** glad I made my flight!!!
Saw a group of high school students wearing matching neon yellow shirts, complete with cute nicknames on the back. The one I remember said something like “Love God” (not a suggestion, more like a title). Think we should do this for our study abroad, but we could also have neon green so we’d cover both our school colors. I mean, how else are we supposed to keep track of each other, if not with neon shirts???? Btw, I’m open to suggestions on what nickname I should put on my shirt. 
My seatmate on the Minneapolis to Amsterdam flight was pretty awesome. Quite the world traveler, full of energy, probably in her mid-60s. She had just spent five weeks traveling in Utah, New Mexico, and Colorado, and was on her way home to Bristol (“It’s in England,” she says. “Hey, I’m not *that* dumb of an American!” I say). She had gone rafting for a week in the Grand Canyon. She lived for a while in various parts of the Middle East, including Jordan. She’d gone hiking in Slovakia and then spent time in Budapest. We had a good time.
-----
Arrival
As per usual, my luggage did not arrive with me. Well, maybe that’s a little harsh, but on two out of my last four international trips, my luggage has not been there when I landed - 50% is not a great success rate. Fortunately, I had packed an outfit in my carry-on. I’m just going to assume that the connection was too tight, and that my bag didn’t make it to the last airplane. Hopefully it will show up soon.
Met two people who will also be attending the seminar: Barb Johnson and Kay Hamlin. We shared a car to the hotel (thanks, Barb!!) and checked into our rooms. We were too tired to do anything besides set up our tours for the next two days, so once that was done, we headed up to our rooms. The rooms are pretty nice - I had a smoking room for the first night, but moved to a non-smoking room for the rest of my stay - the non-smoking room is nicer. :)

1 comment:

  1. Always amazes me that luggage does not arrive with passengers. I have begun wearing US army camouflage with the many handy pockets and carrying one all purpose bag of essentials. Of course, this attire would not be appropriate for your adventure. Glad you are pleased with your new room. When on the whirlwind tour plan, a truly comfortable haven for rest is a real bonus.

    ReplyDelete